Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Gratitude: Interim

in·ter·im
noun
1.
an intervening time; interval; meantime: in the interim.
2.
a temporary or provisional arrangement; stopgap; makeshift.
tran·si·tion  
noun
1.
movement, passage, or change from one position, state, stage, subject, concept, etc., to another; change: the transition from adolescence to adulthood.
These are the states I am currently in. Words that have become a regular part of my explanation so to speak. Words that when the next thing happens I planned on stepping away from, but I’ve realized in the last several weeks these words never go away. God has been using the books I’m reading, the people in my life, sermons I’ve listened to, and this “interim” period to speak to me about interim, and about transition, because these two are necessary for a life sanctified. 
They work interchangeably, and just as we think one has gone, the other returns. We’ve done them our whole lives, but if you’re like me, you’ve done them incorrectly. Whenever I am in a place in life I don’t particularly care for or that’s uncomfortable I idealize the one coming after, only to get there and realize there will have to be transition and interim within it as well...Our life is made up of transitions, of periods of preparation and in embracing them we get to see the work God is doing to sanctify. 
I don’t know where you are right now. You could be waiting to finish school and you just know life is going to hit it’s groove when you land that first job, or get married. Or you could be could be changing jobs, moving, or about to have children. Whatever it is you’re moving through or towards understand that you never stop- Life continues to move and therefore you continue to transition and to shift from interim to interim. They aren’t spaces to be rushed through, every interim is full of the minutes, days, weeks, and years that make up your life- you don’t want to bear through them, but live each one fully. There is so much to be had in each one. Each one truly does prepare you for the next. 
My interim right now is in Portland, living with my sister, and working as a nanny. God has been speaking so much to me through it. You see I have things coming that I am looking forward to, things that could seem bigger and grander than where I currently am, and then I am reminded in the quiet of a sanctuary that if I cannot be fully content here then moving to the next thing will not satisfy either. 
We are studying Philippians at Solid Rock, my church here in Portland. Paul is trying to get us to understand that our contentment comes from the one true Lord- King Jesus. But, the reality hits of my discontentment and I am torn- How can Paul be content in Prison? Why isn’t he like, “ When will this horrible season be over, I’m ready for the good stuff?” 
I don’t get it, because I treat hard periods as interim and the ones I like as real life, but they aren’t separate. They are both life, and both needed to live. And there hits the nail of discontent right on the head, I feel my heart pound as it’s hit again, and again. You’ve shed light on something Paul. I am choosing what qualifies as life, I only want to take the good bits; call everything else transition. Contentment isn’t conditional. He’s saying he doesn’t pick and choose; That in prison or while living as a king he is content, and even Joyful.(* see Acts 16:25) Though circumstances changed around him Jesus remained as Lord of his life- the one consistency. 
My contentment in any season is linked directly to who is Lord over my life. Paul knew that and placed King Jesus where he needed to be, and because he was always the master, and Paul the slave there was content, joy and peace, because things could change and transition around him, but his source of life remained unchanging. Life changes, we cannot live dependent on the stuff in our life, our current financial situation, or even the people that are there, because all that could change in a moments notice. We can only be prepared for the constant transition, the changing of interims if we have surrendered our life to Jesus- because in any change he is constant. 
In moments of discontent I’m no longer asking, “What around me is affecting me or needs to change so that I am satisfied, and content here?”, but instead realizing in that moment my question need be not to myself, but to King Jesus: 
“Why am I not satisfied and content in you Jesus? Please change my heart. Give me a heart that looks forward to and embraces life, life that is made of ever changing interims, and uses transitions to sanctify. Continue to knock down the idols I’ve put in my life that try and take your place as Lord. I want to be fully satisfied in you Lord. You are the master and I am the slave. Thank you for transitions and interim Lord. Sanctify me.”
sanc·ti·fy   

verb 
1.
to make holy; set apart as sacred; consecrate.
2.
to purify or free from sin: Sanctify your hearts.

* Paul and Silus have just been stripped, beaten, and thrown in the stocks and they are praying and singing hymns to God... really? When was the last time I was in a "prison" so to speak and praising God for it?




On a fun note: This "interim" is serious multi-tasker training. Oh yea I can hold a bottle with my chin and read, type and do dishes:) 



No comments:

Post a Comment