Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Gratitude: A Treasure Hunt

A Treasure Hunt, for Worship.     

     
 Today is a gift. I heard this morning that Worship is:  filling the space between us and Jesus. He came as far as he could so that we could be one, and if there is space I’ve put it there. It’s a drawing near. Worship is taking every breath as a gift, and letting every beautiful thing we get to see and be a part of spurn our hearts for the Father. Jesus died so there would be no space. Hell is separation from God. Why do we choose to put ourselves through hell, when Heaven is as close as the skin on our nose? 
A heart of worship is thankful. There is so much to be thankful for everyday. Haddie ( the 3 month old I nanny) and I went on a walk yesterday and I saw some tulips and had to take a picture. Then I saw some blue bonnets, a daffodil, a bright pink door, and the light in Haddie’s eyes. Each time I stopped to take a picture and give thanks. It’s the little things in life that add up to the big, and I want to have a heart that is thankful for everything. Let's not blanket statement pray about thankfulness, but truly start practicing being thankful for everything. I want to worship him in every moment. I want to see the world as a child with excitement and wonder.There has to be a starting place. Here is mine, a treasure hunt. To “stop and smell the roses” so to speak. To have open eyes to see his beauty all around me, and worship. 
Close your eyes and picture darkness and all things cold, hard, and grey; You’re alone in a lifeless stone city ( don’t get excited you geology majors). No really, Do it. Now open them. It doesn’t matter where you are, soak in the beauty that is all around you: people, flowers, clouds, the sounds of your favorite band or silence, smells of coffee or bacon (that one’s for you Joyface), a clear blue sky, or raindrops beating on your windows. Maybe you’re alone and you can spin around the room and let out a shout, maybe you’re not and you still can. Maybe you are with the one you love and you can hold them tighter, or with a friend you can give a huge bear hug to. Do you have strong healthy legs? Well stand up and take a jump, go for a run, or dance. Sing at the top of your lungs and be thankful you can speak. Gaze around the room and be thankful you can soak in all his goodness visually.  Be completely silent and listen for God’s whisper.  
Whatever your place, situation or company God is near. Right now, He’s right beside you, all around you- the most beautiful thing or feeling is a mere reflection of His glory. Let’s go on a treasure hunt you and I- to find the most beautiful reflections we can, and to praise Him for them, and grow more and more thankful hearts of worship in the process. 

       Here is what I've found on my "treasure hunts": 


     
       NE Portland I'm thankful for your originality- for your mustache machines in book stores, your funny graffiti, your amazing ice cream shops, and rows and rows of bicycles. 
You give my sister and I the perfect excuses to explore you.






       


     How innocent is a baby- totally dependent, and full of the simplest, purest joy- what reflects in a babies big eyes is truly holy. 

     I love colored doors- this is the first hot pink one I've found! Right across the street a bright blue trash bin- not too exciting in and of itself, but isn't the color amazing! Oh to paint in the kingdom- where colors know no end. Can you imagine?
Watercolors at Salt & Straw- I love ice cream, I love local art- put them together= JOY. Thank you God for sharing your creativity. We were made by a creative God who loves to inspire. This windmill was just too cool not to be thankful for.


        I don't necessarily love to drive, but the view from the Fremont Bridge is incredible. I love the cityscape of portland- looking out all I want to do is climb mountains ( that's Mt.Hood in the distance), explore the hundreds of coffee shops, boutiques, restaurants, and parks the city has to offer. I would guess at least 100 ( okay maybe 50) some street performers are out and about right now. Saturday I saw a guy who looked like he was straight off Downtown Abby, and another dressed as a werewolf in a suit. 
Some people are turned off to Portland, because of the rain, but look what it brings. Glass half empty, or half full- or over flowing? You decide. I was thankful when I took the shot of this rainbow, because: 

1.) I had just pulled into a gas station after falling asleep at a stop light (could I have narcolepsy?)
2.) I had been driving on empty for a while and wasn't sure if I would make it to said gas station.
3.) My cell phone had died- so I couldn't call for help.
4.) And...the power steering went out while I was on the highway- YIKES!
5.) Finally as I checked under the hood it began to rain. 

When I looked up and saw it there it was like God saying, " I promise to get you home."


1 comment:

  1. I needed this. so much. Thank you, Papa.

    ReplyDelete