Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Gratitude: Trust


Sometimes I feel really small; like an ant.

I am thankful that God doesn't tower above me with a magnifying glass ready to burn me and my tiny existence. He loves using the small; even the ones who doubt themselves. 
Especially those ones. 
Because he is good at reminding people who they are, by telling them who He is.
I am thankful I can trust Him. 
I'm thankful that after all the excuses I make about my smallness, He fights to prove His love, His steadfastness, and faithfulness. 
When are you going to understand Rachael? 
When are you going to see who I AM? 
When are you going to believe me at my word, and trust my plans? 
If you knew who I was, you wouldn't question who you are, because it's not about you, or what you can do, but who I AM- and what I will do through you.


Exodus: Chapters 3-4


There's a ton to unpack in these two chapters alone, but the main thing that stuck out to me is that Moses says, "Here I am!" immediately followed by, "Who am I?"


I see this in myself so much. "God, Here I am!" and then, " Wait, actually God, I don't know if I'm able. I don't actually know who I am, or what I have  to offer. I think you made a mistake."


I love God's patience, and that He reasons with Moses, He encourages him, shows him miraculous signs, and even lays out the plan of how everything is going to go down. How many of us would love to be told the outcome of something God is calling us to? He tells Moses exactly how others will react, and what he is to do, and what He will do in response and still Moses is hesitant. That age old lie, "Will God really do what he says, did he really say, is He really able?"


Exodus 4:10-13 
 "But Moses pleaded with the Lord, "O Lord, I'm not very good with words. I never have been, and I'm not now, even though you have spoken to me. I get tongue tied, and my words get tangled." Then the Lord asked Moses, "Who makes a person's mouth? Who decided whether people speak or do not speak, hear or not hear, see or do not see? Is it not I, the Lord? Now GO! I will be with you as you speak, and I will instruct you in what to say."But Moses again pleaded, " Lord, please! Send anyone else."

God is speaking to me about Trust. That He will bring all things to completion, that his plans are for our good not harm. 

Psalm 84: 11-12
" For the Lord is our sun and our shield. 
He gives us grace and glory.
The Lord will withhold no good thing from those who do what is right.
O Lord of Heaven's Armies, 
what joy for those who trust in you!"

He will withhold no good thing. There is no hidden agenda, no trick. He says he gives us GRACE: the empowering strength to persevere. The questioning, the doubt, the fear only bring worry and add to the chaos and inner turmoil, but TRUST in him brings JOY and SHALOM in the middle of it. "Is it not I, the Lord?" I all too often forget who wears the pants in this relationship, who holds all the cards, and who knows what's ahead. Because I am not able to, I throw that view on God. "How can you say there will be Joy?" I ask him. 

Because I AM JOY and I promise to be with you." He replies.

No comments:

Post a Comment